Surround yourself with people smarter than you

I got a chance to have lunch with the ex-CEO of Dial Corporation yesterday, Herb Baum. What an experience! During the lecture in the evening, he was sharing his experience in the corporate world. One thing that I learnt from Baum was "surrounding yourself with people smarter than you, because they will constantly challenge you and make you a better person." Very true, and this is exactly what I have always been doing. (So please drop me a line if you think you are smart, I know you are!)

I know I'll keep this idea in mind when I'm making my career decision.

Anyway, I bought his book, "The Transparant Leader" after his lecture. Planning to read it during thanksgiving. Just as a footnote for you, all the proceeds of this book go to a non-profit organization which support the research for juvenile diabetes.

Two nights ago, I went to watch "Good Night and Good Luck" with my friends, it's an awesome movie. This is a film about "the legendar Edward R. Murrow" and directed by George Clooney. It gave me a better understanding of the American History during the 1950s and also I learnt that it took a lot of courage to stand up for yourself, stand up for your beliefs and defend your ideas.

People. please speak up whenever you have a chance. If you think there's something strange, something unfair; or if you think you deserve something better, speak up!

"Boldness has genius, power and magic in it" by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

0 comments: