Mind your Business

I learnt this idea over the weekend. Tom Peters (author of Re-imagine) suggested we all should see ourselves as the CEO of Me Inc. I like this idea! Everyone should take charge on their own career development, and the on-going learning right. And even I am just a "small potatoe" in the company, I still believe that I have the power to make a difference and take charge of the situation.

Two weeks ago, I was talking to a senior VP, she said something that I still remembered today. She said, "Remember, when you started working, your manager own your goals since you are in his/her team. However, you own your personal development and it all depends on you if you want to grow and learn. Your manager can't force you to do that."

And last week, I found this article from David Lorenzo's blog and it re-affirms this idea. Take a look...

http://dlorenzo.blogs.com/daves_blog/individual_performance/index.html

Just another thought, i was reading USA News today, an article about the Generation Y (Yes, of course I have to pay attention since it's talking about me!). It talks about the impact of the Gen-Yers going into the workforce and what impact it will make. As a Gen-Yer myself, I believe that we are going to make a big difference to the Corporate America! I totally suggest wearing flip flops and hoodies to work (provided I don't have to meet with any clients that day) because it's more comfortable and it enhances creativity! (you may wonder if we need to use any creativity as actuaries)


Anyway, this is the link: http://www.usatoday.com/money/workplace/2005-11-06-gen-y_x.htm

0 comments: