Chopsticks, Sushi and your Interview

This is a thought we came up with when my friends and I were in a chinese restuarant last night:

When we become a member of the recruiting team of our company, we will take the interview candidates to some ethnic restaurants (like Chinese, Japanese and Indian restaurants etc) to see if the candidates still have good table manner and also how to handle something unexpected.

Probably I will see if a candidate know how to use chopsticks ;)
If you don't know how, this is the link.

Though I couldn't find any articles to show that companies are doing this right now, my friends and I expected that it's going to happen in the next few years when China takes an even more important role in the global economy.

2 comments:

James said...

An interesting idea. I know how to use chopsticks, but I can't use them for long, because my right hand starts to spasm.

If you want to take prospective job candidates to a ethnic Asian restaurant, what should you do? Does a job seeker get credit for trying to use chopsticks, but lose credit for using them incorrectly? What if a job seeker says, "I don't know how to use chopsticks, so I'll use a fork?" (He might think that incorrect use of chopsticks would insult his hosts.)

What I would do is use chopsticks for at least the appetizer, then switch back to a fork. I also hold the upper chopstick more at a 45 degree angle than a 30 degree angle, so I don't know if that usage would be considered incorrect or not.

Y said...

I'll be impressed if someone (particularly American students) know how to use chopsticks. And it is all right to me if the student said he/she didn't know how to use the chopsticks because this is sort of expected.

However, keep that in mind, not every ethnic restaurant have forks and knives though.