Thoughts after reading "The ABCs of the Full-time Employee-by Erik Summers"

I just received the Future Actuary newsletter and there was a good article written by a friend of mine, Erik Summers.

Erik offered some priceless advice on what a college graduate should expect as a new hire when he starts out working. As I'm going to start working in July, I'll make sure I'm not going to make those careless mistakes that Erik brought up in the article---for example,


“inadvertently replying to all, cutting when I should have copied, and even implying that an exam score of six is somehow inferior to larger numbers. "


Particularly I liked his idea on taking control of your own career.

"A wise employer will create an environment where your contribution may be significant and your personal growth substantial, but grooming you to be CEO by age 40 is not on anyone’s to-do list."

You might be lucky enough to have a good and nurturing boss who will teach you the essence of the business, or you can also seek for mentors for advice.

Though it's nobody's agenda to prepare you to be the Chief Actuary, it should be in your agenda and look out for opportunities to advance yourself.


You are your own coach and cheerleader in this game.

The ABCs of the Full-time Employee

1 comments:

James said...

YY,

Thanks for providing the link. I thought I was missing it when I read this entry the first time.