Actuarial Zen

The consultant who's in charge of my office actuarial student program once told me her secret of passing every actuarial exam on the first attempt.

She said, " Preparation of th exam is very important, but what's more important is your mental condition in the exam day. Your strong expectation of passing the exam may actually work against you."

She continued,"When I was in the exam hall, I told myself, "let go of the expectation, do my best, and the rest will follow."

I thought this sounds very philosophical! I was jokingly telling the consultant that she's the "Actuarial Yoda". (Maybe it's not a good humor, she didn't laugh.)

Indeed, this is what the others called "the non-attachment of the outcome to your expectations." I was reading "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle and there are several pages are related to the actuarial zen theory.

Eckhart Tolle said,
"So do not be concerned with the fruit of your action---just give the attention of the action itself.The fruit will come of its accord.The nonattachment to the fruit of your action is called Karma Yoga in Bhagavad Gita...."(p.68)

I'm going to give this Actuarial Zen theory a try in November. Perhaps you can give this a try too.

0 comments: