Workaholics or Successaholics ?

Just finished reading this article recommended from my finance professor. It does remineded me of a discussion I had during my trip to Chicago last week.

Here's the question:

How many hours are you going to work per week?

Make a guess on what I said? I said 60 hours, plus 21 hours studying for exams every week. Am I exaggerating? I don't think so. From what I know, people work in international banking work 12 hours a day and some new analysts at Wall Street are expected to work about 70 to 80 hours a week. Of course I will be happy if 40 hours are enough. However, I know that it takes more than 40 hours to be successful (it doesn't matter what and where I am working because 40 hours work week is just the minumum set by the company)

Earlier on, I received this piece of advice from someone in this profession for a long time. And I would like share with you here.

He said, "the commitment in terms of hours is largely dictated by the individual, not the company. While an employer may set out certain minimum standards as to hours, the individual makes the decision as to how hard he/ she is willing to work to achieve her goals (whether it is career advancement, passing exams, etc.)....."

Hence, if it is going to be, it's up to you and it's up to me.

1 comments:

JK said...

I like your attitude and completely agree with what you said. I also think that the organization should not dictate how many hours to work, employees should make an initiative themselves. This is the only way to boost the productivity and increase the standard of living!!!

I'll return to your blog!