Learn from Everybody, Learn from your Anti-Mentors

I had lunch with M today, he reminded me the importance of learning from everybody. He said, "don't just learn from the people that I look up to, but also from the people that is different from you, whether it is work ethics, personalities and styles. It's very easy to notice when things are well-done (like a WOW presentation), but more often than not, it's hard to figure out how does the best do it. "

"On the other hand, you are also equally likely to notice things (be it the execution of the projects, the attitude towards subordinates...) that are not right (nothing illegal here, but you just felt that's a better way to handle it). Since we all gravitate to things we like and avoid things we dislike, you actually learn more from your "anti-mentors"."

Like lex icon wrote, "You learn more from (others') failures than from successes."

The other day, I was reading Robert Kiyosaki's article on No Limits Ladies. I found this quote from Donald Trump pretty interesting and probably it can be applied to dealing with anti-mentors as well:

Trump said, "Don't be so petty. Sometimes you have to do business with people you don't like. It doesn't mean you have to be like them or like them."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post yync! The anti-mentor! Makes me think of the Superfriends battling the Legion of Doom. :)

Lori
www.smartlemming.com

Y said...

Hm....the Legion of Doom, it sounds interesting to me even though I haven't watched this anime before...

Well, probably I can start writing and describing the different types of "anti-mentors" out there like this in wikipedia. :)

Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legion_of_doom